Lately: Awesome Women and My Newest Obsession

I am making an effort to watch more films... while I eat TV shows on a daily basis, films are a bit too long and demand too much of my attention. Alas, the same could be said when I watch 5 episodes in a row, but for some reason it feels different. So here's what was on my screen lately:

Cleopatra (1963) | Wonder Woman (2017) | Going Clear: Scientology and the Prison of Belief (2015)

I finally made the time to watch this epic film Cleopatra from 1963. It is way too long and the story is... meh, you know, there was a better story to tell but alas, the decor and clothes made the film for me. Seeing Elizabeth Taylor in so many amazing costumes was breathtaking. Completely disappointed by how they made the story, but look at Liz being absolutely gorgeous:


I went to see Wonder Woman (2017) with my co-workers and on our way there I was a bit complaining about some things, and then we went in and I was simply amazed by Gal Gadot and the movie! I did not have high expectations but there were some expectations, of course, it's Wonder Woman after all. But the film totally crushed me and made me extremely happy. Before going to the film a friend told me it's just like Captain America: The Winter Soldier, but I have yet to see that one (I am behind on the superhero movies) and tbh we need more female superheroes and Wonder Woman is a great start - maybe the story is similar, I don't know, but I really enjoyed Wonder Woman - I liked the fights (mostly the normal ones), how it talked about the war and all the funny bits. Maybe one day I will watch Winter Soldier and compare the two, but until then Wonder Woman has my heart!

So... my latest obsession is Scientology. When I travelled to the capital with the girls last month, we had a TV with cable at the Airbnb and there I saw a couple of episodes of Leah Remini: Scientology and the Aftermath... which made me think a lot about Scientology. While looking on Netflix for Leah's documentary series I discovered another Scientology documentary Going Clear: Scientology & the Prison of Belief (2015). I still got the Scientology bug and currently I am watching Leah's documentary and even started reading Dianetics: The Modern Science of Mental Health by L. Ron Hubbard, the founder of Scientology. It is crazy! I am speechless... cults and religion usually make me wonder, but Scientology is just on another level... Just watch Going Clear.


On the TV front (because, yes, I am watching way too much TV), I finally finished Bones. The last three or two episodes were on my PC for months before watching them because I just didn't want it to be over. I started the show in high school and fell in love with Temperance Brennan, the awesome forensic anthropologist and famous fiction writer. It is a procedural with a lot of dead buddies and science. You know me and my passion for crime procedurals and Bones has 12 seasons of goodies!

And because there needs to be at least one sitcom on the side, I started rewatching 2 Broke Girls - the show was cancelled recently but I was like 3 seasons behind so why continue? Instead, I started over and I am enjoying every moment of my adventure with Max and Caroline and their different perspective on life while they partner up together to open their own cupcake shop. I watched two seasons in one month and I am about to start the third. It's a sweet ride full of cupcakes, fun irony and naive enthusiasm - and you know what? We need those both... or all three, because cupcakes!

// Andreea

Popular posts from this blog

On Happiness and Other Demons

Present Day Goals

Otaku Sunday: Spring is Here (Kinda)