Up in the Air by Ann Marie Meyers // Review


Disclaimer: The e-book version of this book was sent to me in exchange for an honest review.

I have to admit that in the beginning I wasn't too into it. The tone of the book is way too mature for a children's book and it put me off for a moment, but afterwards the story finds its voice.

Not necessarily my type of children's book - neither now as an adult, nor when I was a kid, but there is enough to keep one entertained. Knowing myself, as a kid I wouldn't have been satisfied and would have loved to learn more about the magical land of Chimeroan where dreams come true and kids learn to fly or become dragons.

I did want more of the characters - for a children's book (especially middle age), story is important, but so are characters and getting a good idea about other persons, not just the lead. For such a complex story I was have expected more on the character development side.

But in the end, the themes in Up in the Air are important and they are presented in a simple, yet quite effective work. Personally, I would have preferred the ending to focus more on teaching the lesson that we have more important wishes and dreams than the childish ones and use that as an opportunity that even if not all dreams come true, it is not the end of the world. But, alas, some can have their cake and eat it. Despite my previous complaint, Up in the Air does offer a good lesson amour forgiveness - especially forgiving yourself.

Popular posts from this blog

On Happiness and Other Demons

Present Day Goals

Otaku Sunday: Spring is Here (Kinda)