Read Shakespeare in a Year: February

I was pretty sure I will not finish the plays for this month - and I am still behind on Richard III, but continues in February - so hopefully I will catch up in the first weekend of March. The reading plan for this challenge is that on Saturdays I have some parts to read from Venus and Adonis and on Sundays only three sonnets - and I usually read the parts and sonnets for the entire month in one sitting. Which is great, cause it leaves the weekends open to catch up on the play. Just like I did this weekend!

Henry VI, Part 2 ★★★☆☆

The second part of Henry VI was really good! Completely different from the first one (and third one). Unlike its predecessor, this tones down the silliness and instead it deals with the more political aspect of the play.

Henry gets married to Margaret - for no particular reason, but, hey, in the play she is more strong-willed than he is (well, in the third part). Now that I read all parts, it is quite hard to talk about them individually. But even in this play, Margaret gets involved in politics - she has a lover, of course. And there is another witch!

In the end, York insists that he is the true king. There are rebellions, people pick sides, someone proclaims himself the mayor of London. (Goodreads review)


Henry VI, Part 3 ★★☆☆☆

I have to admit that I was expecting more from the final part of Henry VI, what I got instead was a lot of flips and flops, with little to no plot. I think this part portrays Henry's weakness the best.

Although I agree that he was not a good king - easily influenced, he did kinda do things for the good of the people, right? He was tired of all the fights. So he signed off his crown - but only after his death, which, of course, enraged Margaret as you-do-not-give-away-the-future-toy-of-my-kid!!!

Margaret is the best part of the play - she is strong and fierce and fights until the end (unlike her husband). Sure, things don't go her way, but she did shine in this one. But not even that makes up for the boredom. (Goodreads review)


Titus Andronicus ★★★★☆

The brutal tragedy about revenge and crazy people. It is violent, and I mean really violent - Quentin Tarantino level of violence, which includes a lot of deaths, mutilation, rape, shame killing and more.

I am not sure about this - but I think this play is again in the category of Shakespeare's worst plays - and I happen to enjoy it a lot more than all the other plays I read. It felt the most even of them, with great atmosphere (and a lot of gore), and very captivating characters.

It is quite hard to talk about this play - basically Titus thinks he is too old to be the Emperor, so he decides on someone else and, of course, marries his daughter to the new Emperor. Oh, and he kills Tamora's son (there was a war between them, yada-yada-yada) because he lost some sons. Then a back and forth revenge starts between the Queen of the Goths, Tamora, and Titus. (Goodreads review)


I am really glad I managed to finish the plays this month. Although I am a bit tired of tragedies and deaths and history. Hopefully in March there will be some soft and fun plays to enjoy.

Popular posts from this blog

Otaku Sunday: Spring is Here (Kinda)