Week in Review || 16 - 22 January

So... there isn't much to talk about this week.

Monday started with a series of unfortunate events, literally, and it continued into Tuesday and so on... The thing is, all these bad things that happened this week are things out of my control and I can only control my reaction to them. That being said, after a few bad days, I decided to not let them get to me and then the government went crazy - I think someone is a bit too desperate -, however, the people are out in the streets and the President is trying to do something as well. The world is a bit crazy at the moment.

So what do I do when things are crazy around me? I spend my time in fictional worlds! Before I go into rambling about all the shows I watched this week, there's one good thing we did this week: the car is fixed! And, now, it's time for fiction:


Apart from the awesome shows above, I also finished a season of Suits and one of Orphan Black, but both those show I watched over the past months, not entire seasons in just a couple of days:

When I was younger I loved Lemony Snicket's books and now Netflix made a series after A Series of Unfortunate Events, and, let me tell you, it is a really good unfortunate series and in this season it only follows the first four books - which, hopefully, that means there's more where this comes from. The atmosphere and puns are my favourite thing about it! It jumps easily from a dark tone to a whimsical atmosphere, while featuring a dry sense of humor all along.

I watched most of Westworld at work, on my night shifts and I have some mixed opinions about it, although I enjoyed it overall. It seems to do the same old same old HBO thing which involves tits, sex and lots of violence - and I don't have a problem with that if it offers me more and mostly, Westworld delivers, although it kinda lacks in depth when it comes to its thought-provoking ideas. And that can be quite a turn-off, but what it lacks in storytelling, it makes up for in visuals. Honestly, I do hope this series will get better and better in the season to come.

Last, but not least, and surprisingly my favourite from the list is Narcos! Good storytelling combined with even better acting, and a splash of Spanish vulgar words - which I learnt by heart and I'm now using on a day-to-day basis - makes for a great drama inspired by real events and characters. It will take a couple of episodes to get into it, but once you do... it's just as addictive as... okay, let's not go into cliche metaphors. Just count on it to keep your eyes peeled to the screen and to make you love to swear in Spanish!

Other fiction enjoyed this week involves another Shakespeare play (I wrote about all Shakespeare's plays read this month) and Stephen King's End of Watch - I am two thirds into it already, if not more and I already talked about my enthusiasm over this series in my Friday Reads.

I hope you had a great week, and hopefully next week the world would seem brighter and I will get out of the house more!

Popular posts from this blog

Otaku Sunday: Spring is Here (Kinda)