2016 // A Year in Books

I watched Ariel's video recently with her reads from 2016 and decided that I should do my own! I kept her format because it's neat and really makes me think and not talk about everything that I read last year. However, I couldn't help myself from mentioning other books...

Biggest disappointment: Uprooted by Naomi Novik. If you read the description of the book you'd totally think this is one book Andreea would totally enjoy. And so did I, but I just couldn't feel this book. It lacks development and some parts are super rushed while some are tediously slow.

Prettiest book: Now I am not sure if Where'd You Go, Bernadette by Maria Semple is really the prettiest (the Uprooted cover is pretty nice to), but this is definitely a book I picked based on its cover and it was a delight!

Author of the year: And the award goes to Noelle Stevenson! For the comics Lumberjanes and especially for the graphic novel Nimona - which is not in my top 5 books (see below) just because I mention it here.

And here they are, the Top 5 Books of this year! I based it more on enjoyment over anything else, because that is the most important. Fear not, at the end of this post there is a long list of honorary mentions of some great classics, some surprising YA books, and graphic novels/comics.

#5: Room by Emma Donoghue - I recommend the audio book - the narrator is a 5 y/o and I think it could be annoying to read his thoughts rather than listen to them (at least for me). Also, go in with no knowledge of the story. It makes it even more intense and awesome. Afterwards, watch the film - it's also really good.

#4: The Girl on the Train by Paula Hawkins - Seeing how much I hated Gone Girl (love the movie, though) and how everybody was comparing the two books I didn't know if to read it or not. But I am glad I did because the books are not alike and I truly enjoyed this one. It was a great suspenseful thriller built more like a traditional crime mystery - and I adore those!

#3: I Am Malala: The Story of a Girl Who Stood Up for Education and Was Shot by the Taliban by Malala Yousafzai and Christina Lamb - I cried so much while reading it and I cannot believe it took me so long to finally read this book. The background is easy to understand and it's a good emotional read about an awesome girl.

#2: Mr. Mercedes (Bill Hodges Trilogy #1) by Stephen King - Does Stephen King get my second place? With a crime novel? Yes, he does because this book was so good it was hard to stop reading!! The sequel, Finders Keepers, is really good too - although the ending kinda suggests the third book will be different (and that worries me a bit).

#1: Adulthood Is a Myth (Sarah's Scribbles) by Sarah Andersen - I know, I know, this is a comic/picture book, yet it's so so good and I loved it so much. It is basically a book about moi (so it tickles my ego). I'm kidding! But the book is really easy to relate to and a lot of fun.

And now it's time for all the other things I read that deserve to be mentioned in a blog post (for prosperity and so on):

  • The Man in the High Castle by Philip K. Dick (link to my review here) - I read it because I wanted to watch the TV series but never got to do that so maybe in 2017 I'll watch the TV.
  • After Dark by Haruki Murakami (link to my review) - I received mixed opinions from my friends on it, but I enjoyed it.
  • Pygmalion by George Bernard Shaw (review here) - I was a bit obsessed with this play even before reading it as I watched a lot of adaptation (even a Korean drama!) and I am happy to say it surprised me in the best way!
  • The Time Machine by H.G. Wells - After reading this book I decided that this year I need to read more H.G. Wells!
  • A Darker Shade of Magic (Shades of Magic #1) by V.E. Schwab - This book was a lot of fun and I didn't mind its predictability because parallel worlds, different Londons, magic, best cross-dressing thief and other awesome things.
  • Pearl by Derdre Riordan Hall (link to my review) - The author kindly asked me to review her book and when I saw that cover I couldn't refuse!
  • School of Deaths (The Scythe Wilder's Secret #1) by Christopher Mannino (review here) - I think this book surprised me the most from all the ones I received to review (from the girl I work with for reviews), and then the author offered me the second one - and I will hopefully read it this year. After I got a day-job I wasn't able to review as many books.
  • Descender, vol 1: Tin Stars by Jeff Lemire & Dustin Nguyen - A graphic novel in watercolor with a great space story. It is one of my favourite graphic novels discovered last year!.
  • R-18 Love Report! by Emiko Sugi - Had to mention a manga. A fun easy read with lovely art.
  • I Hate Fairyland, vol 1: Madly Ever After by Skottie Young - I will try to talk about this comic-book without touching the capslock BECAUSE IT IS HILARIOUS! Okay... that didn't work. But, seriously, someone should make a cartoon series after these comics!
I did not read as much in 2016 as I wanted, but most of what I read I enjoyed immensely. Plus, I am planning to read more this year and I should... just look at my TBR for this month!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Otaku Sunday: Spring is Here (Kinda)